Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Losing Her First Tooth

Whew, a lot of growing up has happened in our home this week. Annalisa came into my bedroom a week ago Monday with a bloody mouth. Surprisingly she wasn't crying and I looked down to see a piece of scotch tape in her hand. So, her two front bottom teeth have been slightly loose for about a month or so and she sped up the process for one of them by trying to cut a piece of tape with her teeth (ah, she has learned my habits so well). Anyway, the next few nights were spent with Doug very patiently trying to take out her tooth. He got about as far as getting her to open her mouth, but he was not aloud to touch it. We were really trying to figure out how to deal with this very delicate situation. I mean we have 19 teeth more to go, so we didn't want to freak her out too much. She is a pretty sensitive little gal, so we were trying to be gentle about the whole process.

Saturday night we were at a dinner at church and we came home and I asked Annalisa to wiggle her tooth so I could see how it looked. It was practically falling out so she and Doug went off to take it out. All of the sudden I hear screaming. I thought, "Finally, it's out." Doug came out, and no, nothing had happened. "Can you help?" he asked. Hmmm, I'm just not usually very helpful in these types of situations. Anyway, after a harrowing ten minutes, she finally decided to pull it out herself while Doug cheered her on and I looked the other away. She was quite surprised when it popped out with no pain.


2 comments:

the Young family said...

Oh man. That story had me giggling, but that top picture made me REALLY laugh hard! Too cute! Isn't it fun? Corbin lost his first top one, and now a HUGE permanent tooth is growing in its place and its really scary looking!

Anna said...

Maybe I shouldn't have posted that picture. Actually, I feel terrible because I told her to pose that way and she does have my big eyes which can sometimes look a little crazy. I didn't think much about it until Doug saw the post and said something.

Growing up is so hard. I had buck teeth for way too long and my two upper teeth were huge, too, so I looked like Bugs Bunny until at least high school. Actually I have a picture of my self last summer that reminds me of those Bugs Bunny days!